2014-05-09

Almost a motorcycle

It's getting closer. I continued by lifting the frame away from the lift table so I get some room for the engine. There were two nuts left to tighten: The primary gear nut and flywheel nut. Both require significant amount of force so I didn't even try to do that when the engine was on the table.



 The primary gear nut is 190Nm and the flywheel nut is 270Nm. My biggest torque wrench can go only up to 210Nm and even though the book says the tolerance should be only 5% while generally they are 10%, it really shouldn't matter that much or at least that's what I heard from quite experienced technicians. I started by assembling the flywheel and tighten it just a bit so I can attacht the flywheel holder tool I bought earlier. I was told that I could just use impact gun to tighten the nut so there wouldn't be need for a tool, but I didn't feel very confident about that so I decided to get the tool. It's not the original type that attaches to the case with two bolts but instead it has a long handle so it requires two to hold it and tighten the nut which wasn't a problem since I share the garage with my friend. Holding the flywheel it was fairly easy to tighten the primary gear nut to 190Nm and bend the washer to lock it. On the flywheel side I just tightened the nut to wrench's maximum 210Nm and used an impact gun to tighten it about 10 degrees more. I think it's fine.


Once the covers were closed by applying sealant on the surfaces I attached the swingarm to the case and it was ready for the frame to be lifted on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment