2013-07-14

The engine is on the table

The engine is finally on the table. I tried to keep as many things possible things in place to avoid figuring how to re route electircal connections etc on assembly.

Before unmounting I removed:
  1. seat
  2. fairings
  3. fuel tank
  4. air box
  5. throttle bodies
  6. side stand
  7. center stand
  8. exhaust
  9. rider foot pegs
  10. gear shift lever
  11. rear brake master cylinder
  12. clutch
  13. alternator cover and flywheel
All of those things were pretty easy. I had bought a alternator cover puller earlier from eBay. A simple billet alloy one having three holes on it. It was a cheap one but seemed to do it's job. I hadn't removed the alternator cover earlier so had to be a bit cautious as it required some force to pull it out. The liquid gasket holds the cover pretty tight but came out smoothly after all by just slowly turning the puller bolt and pulling the cover with bare hands.

The torgue on the flywheel nut (Generator rotor nut) seems to be 270 Nm in the Workshop manual, so some resistance was expected. I've read from other sources that it has a high torque and some permanent locktite on it, but that may depend on model as the workshop manual lists only engine oil and no locktite for it. Need to figure it out when putting it back to one piece. The removal was pretty easy however. I didn't have a tool to hold the flywheel so I used a pneumatic impact gun and held the flywheel in place just with the other hand. My compressor is a small one and the impact gun is a cheap basic one but didn't require anything fancier.





Workshop manual lists a special tool 88713.1515, engine/frame support. That's used to connect the swingarm to the frame when you remove the engine, but doesn't seem to be a mandatory one, depending how are you going to remove it. I decided not to take the rear shock off if possible so I welded similar tool out of some junk 19mm steel pipe (two of those supports) and it seemed to do it's job with a little help.



I strapped the tools as it seemed that the swigngarm wants to move forward because there isn't any kind of support on horizontal axis. This was enought to prevent it from moving.

To remove the engine I had two firends helping me out. I don't (yet) have anything on the ceiling I could use to lift the bike up so I just piled wooden plates under the engine to get the rear wheel up a bit. Then I hammered the swingarm axle out which didn't want to come easily. It required some serious force in the beginning but didn't get damaged or anything. Engine was free to go once the frame mount bolts were removed. We lifted the engine a bit and removed the wooden plates one by one to get the it lower. I didn't remove the heads or belt covers but there was enough room to take it out. Finally when the plates were removed I lifted the rear of the bike and a friend carried the engine to the table. I had no clue how much would the engine weight so was prepared to carry it with two of us. If I had some ceiling mounted lifter I think I could have removed the engine even alone using the same method. But doesn't hurt to spend some time with friends as well :)


So far it has been pretty easy. Can't really figure out the real hours and the blog posts so far are written on a same day because didn't know if I'm gonna write one or not. Next coming up the engine disassembly. Need to find some time to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment